Tomorrow is a new day ... a big one


As my husband put it last night, it's a big week. It's been a big week and it continues to be so.
This weekend we had a garage sale and we purchased a new car. Yesterday we saw an eclipse and tomorrow my son starts school - real school.  It's all a whirlwind.
Are all of these things big to some people, probably not.  The garage sale was big, not only because of the work that goes into it, but because of what we sold.  Saturday morning the lawn was scattered with toys that were no longer needed in our household.  These were toys made for little kids; tiny trikes, slides and even a playhouse.  All things my son has outgrown.  It was a goodbye to the younger years.
However, of all the things going on, the one I am caught up in the most is obviously my son starting school.
When your child is born you have so many milestones in the first year or two; smiling, rolling over, crawling, eating solids, walking, getting teeth, and so on.  Those first few years fly by full of them.  Then as your child gets older the major milestones kind of slow down.  Yes, they continue to learn new things, but those sort of become everyday experiences.  
I have to say that my son starting kindergarten is a major milestone and my heart is a little soft about it.  I was telling my husband that I feel emotional about it.  I'm not necessarily sad or nervous for him even, it's just perhaps overwhelming.
There was no doubt in our minds that our son was ready to start kindergarten.  His birthday falls to where he could start this year or wait until the following year.  We knew he was ready.  His preschool teachers said he was ready.  Our son even knows he is ready.
We have now been through Kindergarten Roundup and Supply Drop Off Night.  Our son seemed reserved at roundup, but last night at supply drop off he was more than excited.  He loved his classroom.  He took his time getting familiar with the new sights in the room.  From finding his cubbie and locker, to watching the pet fish swim in the classroom tank, to reading the alphabet that lined the wall.  Even after his things were put away, he wanted to stay. 
As we finally made our way back to our car he was informing my husband and I that he doesn't need dropped off on the first day.  He said he was a big boy and he'd prefer to ride the bus.  After much discussion we made sure he knew that no matter what we were still planning to drop him off.  After all, he only starts real school once.  He may not think he needs us to drop him off, but I'd like to think he does.  And, let's be honest, I need this. 
I have to say how proud I am of him.  Far from how I was a child, my mom referred to me as a spider monkey, he seems so brave.  I'm so happy he is so social and quick to make friends.  He even informed us last night that if others seem shy he will try to talk to them first to make them feel less nervous.  It's clear he is ready for school and ready to take on these new adventures.  I am so happy for him.
So, tonight we will get his backpack ready and lay out his clothes.  He will excitedly put his Jitter Glitter under his pillow that he received from his teacher and he will fall asleep with sweet dreams of what tomorrow will bring.  I, on the other hand, may have a few tears before I fall asleep. Tonight we say goodnight to our preschooler and tomorrow we say good morning to our Kindergartner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Might need a mom intervention

I've fallen and ... I'm trying to get up

October fun for the whole family