Getting Back-to-School Ready
The telltale signs of Back-to-School time are here. Besides the obvious lined aisles in the stores overflowing with pencils, glue bottles and paper - there are other signs I am noticing each day.
My drive to work is already darker as the days get shorter. The pools are only open for another week or two. The schools are having registration fairs and camps are coming to a close.
I have to admit that I am a Back-to-School nerd. I love this time of year. I love everything that comes with it. I love the promise of cooler air and glowing dusk evenings. I love school supplies and often find myself needing some new pens or a new calendar for myself. I love that you can practically smell the pumpkin spice riding in on the breeze. Fall is coming.
This is my first official Back-to-School year as an adult, as I have a child starting kindergarten. I was the eager one ready to shop for supplies. My son hasn't quite learned – or rather inherited – the excitement of Back-to-School shopping. When we went supply shopping, he and his dad were occupied with getting Icees as I lingered in the aisles retrieving scissors, crayons and washable markers. I found myself daydreaming of years past when I would stand in similar aisles debating which Lisa Frank folders I wanted, which Trapper Keeper would best represent my personality and which color of Eastpak backpack I would beg my mom to buy me.
A few weeks left before the big show (first day of school) and I have been trying to better prepare the household for a good transition into the year.
One of the first projects on my list is getting a good station set up for school papers, calendars, etc., to be displayed. I began by clearing the clutter off of one side of our refrigerator. Goodbye old art pictures finger-painted by my toddler at daycare. I will put you in a safe place to cry over again later.
I found some really fun stuff in the dollar area of Target to help make the area look more fun. I picked up these fun apple clips and am adding magnets so they can help display important papers.
I also found these cute sayings to make it look more Back-to-School ready. My drive to work is already darker as the days get shorter. The pools are only open for another week or two. The schools are having registration fairs and camps are coming to a close.
I have to admit that I am a Back-to-School nerd. I love this time of year. I love everything that comes with it. I love the promise of cooler air and glowing dusk evenings. I love school supplies and often find myself needing some new pens or a new calendar for myself. I love that you can practically smell the pumpkin spice riding in on the breeze. Fall is coming.
This is my first official Back-to-School year as an adult, as I have a child starting kindergarten. I was the eager one ready to shop for supplies. My son hasn't quite learned – or rather inherited – the excitement of Back-to-School shopping. When we went supply shopping, he and his dad were occupied with getting Icees as I lingered in the aisles retrieving scissors, crayons and washable markers. I found myself daydreaming of years past when I would stand in similar aisles debating which Lisa Frank folders I wanted, which Trapper Keeper would best represent my personality and which color of Eastpak backpack I would beg my mom to buy me.
A few weeks left before the big show (first day of school) and I have been trying to better prepare the household for a good transition into the year.
One of the first projects on my list is getting a good station set up for school papers, calendars, etc., to be displayed. I began by clearing the clutter off of one side of our refrigerator. Goodbye old art pictures finger-painted by my toddler at daycare. I will put you in a safe place to cry over again later.
I found some really fun stuff in the dollar area of Target to help make the area look more fun. I picked up these fun apple clips and am adding magnets so they can help display important papers.
Another project on my list is getting some handy recipes that are quick and easy to put together. We have very early mornings at my house with our schedules, and there is no time to make big, beautiful, Instagram-picture-worthy breakfasts. I want some better options than our typical grab and go (but sadly full of sugar) options. Here are a few I have found that I plan to try for the upcoming year.
Breakfast:
http://mommyhoodbytes.com/4-in
http://drizzlemeskinny.com/blu
http://dailydoseofpepper.com/2
http://drizzlemeskinny.com/has
http://amyshealthybaking.com/b
http://www.emilybites.com/2017
http://www.hungry-girl.com/wee
Or all these better for you donut options:
http://drizzlemeskinny.com/cat
Speaking of fast and still kid friendly recipes, here are a few dinner options that are fast and yummy too.
Dinner:
http://dailydoseofpepper.com/2
http://www.emilybites.com/2013
http://drizzlemeskinny.com/slo
http://theweightofmyweight.com
http://drizzlemeskinny.com/tac
Now that my two main projects are complete, there are a few more smaller projects on my horizon. You now those kinds of projects that my husband will deem not necessary, but my project wanna-be-crafter side will say I need to do. We shall see how those come along in the upcoming weeks as the countdown begins to the first day.

Comments
Post a Comment