Pregnancy fears

So, I have officially started my sixth month of pregnancy. I guess you would say I’m on the downhill slope of pregnancy. I have to admit that having passed the halfway point and having began the slide down towards the due date I have started to become more nervous of what lies ahead of me. I’m sure that’s normal … right?
I guess you would classify what I am feeling as fear. It’s funny because typically I am the person who fears everything all the time. Okay, maybe not all the time but I am definitely a self proclaimed worry wart. If there is something to worry about I’m usually all over it.
It has been rather surprising that pregnancy has been such a calming and enlightening experience for me. I find that overall I have been more calm these past 5 months than I could have ever imagined myself being in pregnancy.  I feel very at peace with myself and with pregnancy. I feel that pregnancy is what gives me that sense of calm. Knowing that Ray is in there brings peace to me.
However, the last week I have began to realize how close we are to the due date. I know we aren’t right on top of the date but we are on the second half of pregnancy. I find myself battling some fears, all of which I am sure are common.
I think my first and most obvious fear is what all soon-to-be parents worry about and that’s financials. Even though we discussed our budget and figured out how our budget will change I all of a sudden worry that perhaps we missed something or perhaps we figured wrong. Are we really financially ready for this baby?  Too late! He’s a coming and we have to be ready or not!  Why does it seem that only if we had won that $600 Mega Millions would we be financially sound enough for raising a child?
My second most obvious fear is how this baby is going to make his entrance into the world. Yes, I am talking about labor and the actual birthing process. I didn’t think about this much during the first part of pregnancy but all of a sudden its hit me like a ton of bricks that there are only two ways this baby can come out and neither option sounds appealing to me. I find myself watching 16-year-olds birth babies on T.V. and I think to myself well if they can do it so can I . Then I see the actual birthing process and I’m scared shitless again.
Another major concern of mine lately has been worrying about how great of a parent am I going to be.  I used to see parents out and about with their children and judge.  I would see kids throw themselves down in a range of tantrum and the parent doing one of two things, either ignoring the child almost completely or being the complete opposite and screaming at their child like insane people. I would always find myself judging them in my head.  Now I see it happening and I think … OMG what would I do in this situation? Am I going to be a hard ass or am I going to let my child run my life?
The good news is that even after I have all these fears I realize that there is a balance to life. Could we use more money in our life? Of course we could. Who doesn’t think that? But we are lucky enough to have more than a lot of people out there.  Will I be strong enough to handle labor and birth? Of course I can! Women have been birthing babies for centuries.  My body is made to do this.  Will I be a good parent? Of course I will be! I know that I already love Ray with every ounce of my being. How could I go wrong?
Chad and I are blessed by both having been raised in amazing households with amazing families. Our parents did a wonderful job raising us and I know that their parenting qualities have rubbed off on us. If we are even half the parents our parents were Raymond will be one lucky kid!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Might need a mom intervention

I've fallen and ... I'm trying to get up

October fun for the whole family