Does a burning heart mean a head full of hair?
As I am sure you have grasped from many of my posts – pregnancy has been a breeze for me. No major symptoms looming over me like back pain, morning sickness, etc. Well, I think a pregnancy symptom is finally catching up with me. I have a new friend in my life. Her name is heartburn. You may have heard of her. She sneaks up on you after you eat, perhaps while you are sleeping. She makes sure you know she’s there by creating a burning sensation in your chest that just seems to last and last.
Over the last week I have began to notice heartburn creeping up on me over and over again. I am sure sometimes it’s due to what I eat. For example last night I ate spicy Chinese chicken and followed it up with ice cream. It should be no surprise to me that I awoke with my chest burning. However, some days I think it’s just a typical pregnancy symptom rearing its ugly head. Some days I notice heartburn after eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or eating something as simple as a banana.
According to all the websites and books I have read it’s totally normal to have heartburn in pregnancy. During pregnancy our body creates what’s called Relaxin. The job of Relaxin is to help loosen our joints in pregnancy so our hips can spread and make room for the baby. However, it affects all parts of our bodies. Joints everywhere start popping all the time and it also causes the esophagus to relax which allows that nasty acid to work its way up into our chest and throat. Blah.
However, there is also an old wives tale that goes with heartburn during pregnancy. The old wives tale states that when a mother experiences heartburn during pregnancy it means that she will birth a baby with a head full of hair. Could this old wives tale be true? I decided I would do some investigating and here is what I found out …
This is bit of an article taken from website: http://www.pregnancyheartburn.com/
“Johns Hopkins University recently did a study showing that there is a connection between heartburn during pregnancy and newborn hair. 82 % of the women polled who had moderate to severe heartburn gave birth to babies with extra-thick hair, and 83% of the women with no heart burn symptoms gave birth to babies with little or no hair at all. So, what gives? Apparently, the same hormone associated with pre-natal hair growth is also responsible for pregnancy heartburn. The culprit? Estrogen, of course. Estrogen relaxes the sphincter at the base of the esophagus, which allows acid to reflux from the stomach and cause heartburn. It also promotes hair growth.”
I like the idea of thinking that my heartburn is due to Raymond sprouting a head full of hair. I think it would be awesome if he came out with hair and looking like a little man. I think I also just like the idea that I can blame my heartburn on his growing hair versus my menu choices.
Tell me what you think. Do you think heartburn means a head full of hair? Do you think Ray will be born with luscious locks? Did you have heartburn and a baby with lots of hair or no hair? Fill me in people!
Since you asked :) I had heartburn quite a bit when I was pregnant with Faith. It was mild, but frequent and TUMS went everywhere with me. She was born with a lot of hair, but it kind of all fell out so she looked like a balding man. I have a thing for babies with lots o' hair, so I hope your heartburn isn't all for naught!
ReplyDelete