What’s in a name …

Chad and I knew early on what names we wanted for our future child … whether they be a boy or a girl. I am not sure why it was so easy for us but it was.

We were also pretty set in the name selections and weren’t afraid to share them with other people as soon as we decided. I know a lot of people choose not to share the name for all kinds of reason:  maybe they want to surprise people with the name, they may be naming them after a family member, they could be afraid people will try to discourage them from using the name, or they just may not be 100% sure on a name until they see the baby, etc.

We had come up with Raymond Nelson fairly quickly. We have had numerous people ask us how we came up with Ray’s name and here it is.

About two years ago Chad and I went to a Ray Lamontange concert.  Sitting there listening to his music I told Chad that I really liked the name Ray. It was simple yet classic. Chad agreed as we made some passing – half jokingly - comments about if we ever have kids we could name them Ray.

From that moment on anytime we talked about having kids we would find ourselves saying “When Ray comes along…”  “When Ray is here …” instead of just simply saying, “When we have kids.”  Keep in mind this was a fair time before we were even married. However, we both knew early on in our relationship that we both wanted kids and that having a family was an important part of our relationship so it just seemed natural for us to frequently discuss children in our future.

Of course we were pleasantly surprised when we found out we were expecting so soon after being married. It didn’t take long for us to start talking about names either. When the discussion came up for a boy name it was fairly simple and quick. It kind of went like this … “Well, I still like Ray. Do you?”  “I do too.” “Okay, let’s go with Ray.” That was pretty much it. I guess the conversation did go a little further as we did decide to use Raymond instead of Ray. Chad suggested Raymond thinking there would be options for him to go by, Ray or Raymond. However, I am sure we will pretty much refer to him as Ray since that is how we already find ourselves talking about him and talking to him.

The middle name was incredibly easy too. It’s Chad’s middle name and we liked how the names paired together.

I guess you never know what might inspire you in anything you do or choose to do in life. We just happened to be at a concert, enjoying some great music and a spur of the moment conversation came up about a name. Who knew 2 years later we would actually be naming our child that name. 

That folks is how the name Raymond Nelson came along.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Might need a mom intervention

I've fallen and ... I'm trying to get up

October fun for the whole family