Back to School

Do you think you ever get too old to say you miss the whole back to school thing?  I'm now into my 30's and I still totally miss it.
I love this time of year when all the stores put out the school supplies. The aisles are lined in crisp notebooks, the smell of new pencils lingers in the air and bright pops of color surround you with lunch boxes and backpacks. 
I loved this time of year as a kid. I loved going shopping for my back to school threads. Picking out new clothes knowing I was getting ready to debut a new me for the year. I loved getting the list from school telling me all the supplies I had to purchase for the year. The best part was leaving the store with all those materials, but also walking out with a new super awesome trapper keeper, a sweet new backpack that clearly reflected my personality and about a thousand new pens.
Although the night before the first day of school I could barely sleep because my stomach was full of butterflies, I was also so excited for the start of the year. I loved school. I loved being with my friends all day and I loved all the activities. The only thing I ever dreaded ... and still have nightmares about ... was forgetting my locker combination.
One of my favorite school traditions was when I left school. Some years my mom picked us up on a regular basis but some years we rode the school bus. It was always the best surprise on the days we were supposed to ride the bus and mom was there to surprise us. Best yet was the time we spent after school. Some days we got a surprise treat (ice cream) or a quick trip to the store. It always seemed like a special time to me.
All I am saying is that I know I am long past those days for myself, but I can't wait til Ray and I get to start his Back to School routines and traditions. The clothes shopping, the school supplies and best yet, the after school mom and Ray time. 

Comments

  1. Love your post! I still have dreams of being in school and forgetting my locker combination!! What is that all about?? The last dream I had about school I not only kept forgetting my combination, but couldn't remember the room numbers to my class rooms!! Then I would go to the office and they would reprint my schedule for me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Might need a mom intervention

I've fallen and ... I'm trying to get up

October fun for the whole family