I'm breaking up with my scale

I weighed out from my last DietBets last week.  As the DietBet was coming to a close I had already decided that I was going to be giving my scale a break after the final weight out.
Over the course of the last month I found myself being too obsessed with the number on the scale.  I found that the number I'd see would dictate how my day would go.  If the number went down,  I  had a great day.  I ate well, exercised and stayed focused.  However, I noticed that if the number on the scale didn't budge, or worse went up, my day would fall apart.  I ate terrible, I didn't exercise and overall didn't make good/healthy choices.
Over the course of the last year and half I have lost 63 pounds.  When my journey started I didn't have a final number to get to.  Then as I began to lose weight I started to have actual goals in mind.  As I read through my old blog posts I saw that my original goal was 50 pounds and then as I hit my marks I continued to change it.  More recently I was hoping to hit 70 total to make it a nice round number.
As I started my journey, my weight loss had been fairly steady.  It's clear that even over the last 6 months things have slowed way down.  I would say it's safe to say I've finally hit a plateau even.
After much thought and talk with some of my fellow friends who are also working towards healthier lifestyles, I have decided that I'm at a point where I need to be done watching the scale as much as I do.
Now is the time I need to work on furthering my workouts and just trying to continue to eat right.  For the most part I only workout 3-4 days a week and usually about 30 mins to 45 mins a day.  Most of these days in the early part of my journey were just walking.  It's clear I should try something new.  I most recently started Focus T25 workouts and love them.  I really think it's also time that I look into weight lifting.  It's time to introduce some new workouts to my body in hopes to tone up a bit and help gain some muscle.
I also just need to focus on continuing to eat better and to continue to make the healthier choices.  I still don't plan to go clean or to give up Blizzards or french fries or wine.  However, I need to stick to 80-90% of the time, making the better choice.
It's my hope that if I just continue on this path, I will continue to see changes in my body, even if the changes don't necessarily reflect on the scale.
So, although the scale used to be my friend (I always found it motivating to see the number) it's clear we are not as good of friends as we used to be.  It's time we start giving each other a little space. So, I will be putting my scale away.  My hopes (let's see if I can keep myself to it) is to not weigh myself for a month. I guess we will see how this goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Might need a mom intervention

I've fallen and ... I'm trying to get up

October fun for the whole family