Grandpa's boy

It doesn't seem like that long ago that my dad informed me he was diagnosed with cancer. I will never forget that day and him telling me. I will never forget all the things that ran through my mind. I will never forget feeling terribly sick and feeling a sense of doom hanging over.
I remember after finding out I was on the phone talking to my sister telling her how scared I was that our dad would pass away. I remember thinking he wouldn't be there for all the important times in my life. He would miss walking me down the aisle, the birth of my children, seeing my children grow up, etc.  Everything was devastating.
However, my father did not let cancer take him from us. He fought not only for his own health, but for us. Even though he was weak from treatments he stayed strong. He was a force to be dealt with and cancer didn't stand a chance.
I'm happy to say that my father has been cancer free for 10 years now. It's almost hard to believe 10 years have gone by, but what a blessed 10 years they have been.
My father was there to see me fall in love, to walk me down the aisle and give me away to my wonderful husband. My dad was there to pray for my husband and I as we began to start our family. My dad was at the hospital when my son arrived in this world and he has been there ever since.
My son is a total Grandpa's boy. He lights up when he sees my dad. He always wants to have Grandpa hold him and he is sad when Grandpa leaves. If Grandpa is around no one else stands a chance.
Last night was one of those moments that just make my heart smile.  My son was in the living room playing when all of a sudden he sees my dad in the window. My parents had just arrived at our house and Ray could see him out the big picture window walking up.  My son literally dropped what he was doing and put his arms out and ran to the window for Grandpa, smile beaming on his face. 
It's moments like those that make me feel so blessed. So blessed to still have my dad for myself, for my family and for my son. I'm so happy they get to see each other often and enjoy each other so much.  There isn't much more in this world a girl could ask for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Might need a mom intervention

I've fallen and ... I'm trying to get up

October fun for the whole family